Zero-Waste Freezer Management
- Group food according to their nature: vegetables in one compartment, meat in another, prepared dishes in another, etc.
- Ensure the frozen food turnover: first in, first out.
- Draw up the freezer inventory and keep it up to date.
Type of food
Storage life in the freezer
Fruits and vegetables
6 to 12 months
6 to 8 months
Fish and shellfish
3 to 4 months
Bakery products and pastries
1 to 2 months
Cleaning of the freezer
- Defrost the freezer as soon as the layer of frost reaches 2 mm to avoid overconsumption of energy.
- Preferably clean the freezer during winter to take advantage of low temperatures.
- Place frozen food in a cooler or insulated bag, or outside during the cold season.
Freezing at home
- Freeze berries, certain vegetables such as tomatoes, and herbs individually on a plate. Transfer into a freezer bag afterwards.
- Blanch the vegetables before freezing. Make sure they are well drained before transferring them into a freezer bag.
- Use packaging suitable for the food to be frozen:
- Flexible packaging, like reinforced aluminum foil
- Glass canning jars (remember to leave an empty space for food increase in volume during freezing. Warning: Glass containers are easily breakable at freezing temperature)
- Ice-cube trays
- Plastic containers
- Write the contents and date on each container using labels or adhesive tape (such as painter’s tape) and a permanent felt-tip pen.
- Cut the pieces of meat and freeze pieces separately in an airtight plastic container or in vacuum packaging.
- Portion out in single servings or for a single family meal. Small packages are easier to freeze than large ones.
Back from the grocery store
Quickly store frozen products purchased at the grocery store in the freezer to prevent from thawing. When possible, choose vacuum-packaged frozen foods – it improves the preservation.
Some freezer-friendly foods
- Whole tomatoes
Plunge the whole tomatoes into boiling water for a few minutes, then plunge into icy water to remove the skin and the core. Freeze into containers or plastic bags.
For whole eggs, break the shell, mix the yolk and the white and so that the yolk does not become viscous, add ½ tsp. sugar or ½ tbsp. salt per cup of egg. Egg yolk may be frozen separately by adding sugar or salt, like for the whole egg. The egg white does not need any added sugar or salt and does not need to be mixed.
- Parmesan rinds
Freeze cheese rinds and add to minestrone or other soup.
Portion in the amount needed for future smoothies, muffins, cake or frozen yogurt.
Grapes will quickly get a second life if promptly frozen. They make a refreshing snack or ice cubes that won’t melt in your cold drinks.
Other tips you might be interested by!
Tips and Tricks on Food Preservation to Avoid Waste Food waste sometimes results from poor food management. The storage and preservation method differs depending on the food’s nature. Below, you will discover the best practices for keeping fresh foods and...
Tips for a Better Food Budget Management With prices soaring, doing the groceries can pose real headaches. With some tips and tricks, it is still possible to hold your own.You are certainly aware of many tips set out in this article, but it may always be useful to...
Freezing vegetablesVegetarian recipes!Forcontact us418 763-7707 p.7418 763-776750, 1st street West, Sainte-Anne-des-Monts Quebec G4V 2G5 email@example.com